Summer Smoke and Sizzle

Hello Everyone! Welcome to Summer. I have already experienced a variety of weather conditions from cooler temperatures with smoky haze to full on summer heat and humidity. 

Chocolate Mint Geranium

The picture above is one of two plants that I am maintaining for this garden season (remember the years I had the 20’ x 20’ garden plot? I cannot believe I did that). Now, I am down to this lone geranium survivor and some struggling kale.

Today, I am thinking about goals. At work, I had my mid point review this week and my manager mentioned that I should start thinking about where I want to be at the end of 2024 to start developing goals or resolutions for next January. I have transferred the conversation to my personal life and started it by re-assessing the 2023 goals.

One of my personal 2023 goals was to take Drawing 1 and 2 at the Chicago Botanic Garden, drawing is difficult and I had been wanting to take a class for a long time. I budgeted and planned my vacation time because in my experience, art classes are intense and their homework is not something you can squeeze in a couple hours on a Saturday or while half asleep after a work day. I chose this class because the instructor, Marlene Hill Donnelly, is a scientific illustrator for the Field Museum. I greatly admire technical illustration – you can convey information in a beautiful way without the extra complication of color. Technical illustration is used in so many fields such as architecture, archaeology, biology, engineering, etc.

Architectural Drawing from the Library of Congress Archive

Fish Larvae - I have the source somewhere in my archives!

I am nowhere close to this but one can have big dreams. We started in class by warming up our eyes and hands with gesture contour drawing. The gesture is supposed to be quick, rough, and to capture the personality of whatever you are drawing. Then, you go back for the contour drawing on top of it which is slower and more accurate. 

Gesture Contour Drawings of Lily

After a few weeks, the drawings progressed by using different measuring tools, practicing with lighting, incorporating cross contour lines, and trying new materials. This is a successful homework assignment – accumulating different layers of tracing paper to create the final drawing of a shiitake mushroom. The first layer is a gesture contour on a grid, the second layer is a more refined contour, the third layer captures the initial cross contour lines, and the fourth layer is the complete assignment with cross contour lines demonstrating shading. 

Mushroom Layer 1

Mushroom Layer 2

Mushroom Layer 3

Mushroom Layer 4

My class critique included that the cross contour lines needed randomness in length and more follow through (curve at the edge) so I did the fourth layer a couple more times and now, I am content.

Final Mushroom

We ended the class working on film or vellum and painting our shades with carbon dust. 

Sketchbook Page of Homework Assignment

Sketchbook Page of Quick Light Study (Top) and More Careful Vellum (Bottom)

There were not enough students for Drawing 2 so that class was cancelled. Looking back, I am OK with that outcome because I needed time to absorb. Unfortunately, I haven’t spent much time with a pencil and paper since but I did sign up for another class in Fall.

So that’s the big update. No baking or craft news. Reading is moving along. I am in the midst of The Hemingses of Monticello by Annette Gordon-Reed, an important and thorough work. My favorite book of the year so far is Wild Ride: The Rise and Tragic Fall of Calumet Farm Inc., America’s Premier Racing Dynasty by Ann Hagedorn Auerbach. Another expertly researched book covering four generations of a family in the business or lifestyle of horses – and I wouldn’t call it a tragedy. I admire similarities between this book and last year’s favorite, Prairie Fires: The American Dream of Laura Ingalls Wilder: multiple generations of family drama, money, dysfunction. Now that I have been on the planet for multiple generations, I see commonalities between these families and those I encounter in everyday life. Have a wonderful summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Project Reveal...

Presenting Planet Nice Odyssey

A Little on Quilt History