First Major Winter Storm Happening


Hello Everyone! I know it has been a long long time, and I again apologize for that. School activities tied me up as I spent considerable time in October and November sewing in the costume shop of the Theatre Department at the College of Lake County. The latest production was A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen. One of my main projects was this velvet jacket:



This project was interesting to me as it was the first time I worked with velvet. Because of the necessary speed, I did not spend time worrying about matching the stripes at the seam lines, the main goal was just to cut fabric as straight as possible.  The fabric was quite stiff so we handled it as much as possible to create a little of the worn look. I had the opportunity to take these pictures but I only had my phone with me and with such dark fabric, some magic with Adobe Photoshop was required to have visibility.

No progress has been made on the decided upon bean bag chair but instead some Planet Nice logo work was done during a few workshops at the Innovation Lab at College of Lake County and the Fab Lab at McHenry County College. The first step is always a sketch:


Then the Adobe Illustrator file was created so that a glass could be etched by laser:


With the final product shown here (the font had to change as the lab’s computer did not have the one I originally chose):


I thought it came out very well – if I had to say anything is that the circle was slightly distorted towards an oval and I included www in the web address which is not necessary but it is a habit of mine. The second workshop, we had the opportunity to choose the different wood pieces and to laser etch the wood back of three ornaments. The red is paduk, the light tan is maple, the striped brown is zebrawood, and the brown star of the first one on the left is walnut. I did not put a logo but instead “Planet Nice 2018” as only text was allowed. Here are the fronts and backs of the ornaments:



The third workshop was also wood etching and we were able to use our own illustration again. I tweaked the first draft logo by sketch to this:


Then another Adobe Illustrator file was created so that the laser could etch the wood, resulting in this final product:


I like both logos so I will continue to play around with them as time allows. One of the Planet Nice items will be included with any purchase of a knitted item for those who are reading this blog post as long as they are available. Please contact me at the email below.

I am not sure how much progress I will make on the bean bag chair in the coming weeks with holiday preparations but I am hoping the schedule will clear up after the end of the semester. My days are always brighter with sewing or another craft.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting Planet Nice Odyssey

An Announcement, An Unveiling

Summer Smoke and Sizzle