Yes! We are still here.


I apologize greatly Earthlings for postponing a blog post time and time again. Planet Nice is still in existence..it is still rotating on its axis…it is just stretched a little too thin from time to time.

I was able to take a short fieldtrip to the Art Institute of Chicago with the main purpose of seeing the Georg Jensen: Scandinavian Design for Living special exhibit (the closing date was September 9th). It was very worthwhile: many silver pieces and a few furniture and other home product pieces in addition to the background information on the designers and their sketches. The notable time periods were Art Deco and the iconic, sleek Mid-century modern. I never know if photos in museums will turn out worthwhile so I focused only on the chairs, but in two of the photos you can see tableware pieces in the background. Here is the sample:



The one below has a light fixture too, I believe its style is called artichoke - very similar aesthetic to the pieces I saw on my travels last summer to Copenhagen Denmark and MalmÓ§ Sweden.



For some of the official exhibit photos, visit http://www.artic.edu/node/7953.

From a project perspective, no progress with the blue fabric has been made but I am completely OK with it because there is so much other activity going on: school, community garden, and what really slows me down, allergies.

Another hat was completed with the two-tone purple cashmere yarn. It is incredibly luxurious in its size and pattern with both lace and cables. The pattern is Twilight Rose Beanie by Gretchen Tracy with an extra set of pattern rows. The multi-tones definitely create an interesting yarn but the variegation doesn’t make seeing the pattern easy – I tried my best with the photography.




And yes, I added a few buttons for a little decoration just like with the fingerless mitts. There is still a bit of yarn left so I may knit up a small, lacy scarfette to coordinate with the mitts or the hat. My next step for these projects is to take measurements of what has been completed so whom they would fit best can be determined. I have had a lot of fun re-acquainting myself with the knitting hobby – I never completed hats and mitts previously so I definitely gained new skills. And the portability is great, I had completed quite a bit while riding the Pace bus to and from school. The only disadvantage of using these bits and pieces of yarn is that picking an appropriate pattern requires not only a gauge swatch but trial and error too. The only project that was seamless from gauge swatch to finished project was the finegerless mitts.

I can’t think of any other highlights on Planet Nice – I hope to not let a month go by before the next post. Take care!


Comments

  1. Good to see you are still out there, Planet Nice! I enjoyed seeing the photos from the Art Institute exhibit. I especially enjoyed the artichoke light fixture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend of Planet Nice. You have inspired me to add photos of light fixtures to the next post (hopefully published by the end of the month).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Project Reveal...

A Little on Quilt History

Presenting Planet Nice Odyssey