Many pictures, Not much writing


I apologize greatly for the delay of this blog post. My schedule for school is intense, but it is going well – it is reassuring to know that I can be a full-time student once again because I keep finding classes that I would like to take.

Planet Nice is adjusting to the latest schedule as best as it can and I am really happy with the material that I want to share with you. First of all, the cap is complete! And it had a photo shoot on a head mannequin as well as flat. I like the reflection in the mirror of this shot.




This flat one is nice because you can see the pattern. I am VERY satisfied with the end product – I am not sure if it was worth all the messing around, but I can sleep soundly now. I have not washed it again, but I plan to when I have another piece to wash it with. It will be interesting to see if the superwash wool keeps up its antics of stretching - I did make adjustments to the number of stitches to compensate if it does or perhaps it will not stretch further because the yarn has been pre-washed. No progress has been made on the green cashmere hat, but I am hoping that will change in a day or two.

For the Mid-century Modern fans out there, I forgot how I exactly found this book – I think it was during a search for mid-century ottoman.


This is a book that was recently re-printed but it has the complete original content. It is a real fun flip-through and very thorough with 400 pages – almost like a textbook. So far I haven’t read closely, I just have admired the photographs and drawings. Luckily, my local library has two copies so it was very easily obtained. Unfortunately, there is no multi-cultural representation 🙁. It is not solely contemporary style but also covers traditional as well as teaching how to combine the two. I like the idea of combining styles because I think it is more representative of us “regular” people. Here are some photographs of select pages as a preview:

Source: Better Homes and Gardens Decorating, pages 64-65.

This picture demonstrates that one can initiate picking a color scheme by starting with a picture. Below is a picture with the caption “Lavender, aqua, and blue sparkle against white.” That looks to be blue paneling!

Source: Better Homes and Gardens Decorating page 99.

For those that like yellow: “The basic formula here: stress yellow, solid colors, bold areas of clean color”.

Source: Better Homes and Gardens Decorating page 95.

Here is an example of a page with drawings:

Source: Better Homes and Gardens Decorating page 94.

I will look at this book more closely and will share - my personal decorating style is in general, utilitarian 😉 - so I could probably learn plenty.

Finally, the PBS series Civilizations wrapped up this past week with the episode “What is Art Good For?” – a look at current artists and those of the last 100 years with medium including gunpowder (!). In the episode “The Cult of Progress”, the show did feature the Art Institute of Chicago’s Paris Street; Rainy Day by Gustave Caillebotte. It is always nice to see a piece that you have admired since your first visits to a hometown institution.

Source: http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/20684

I am on the hunt for another inspiring and entertaining series, I will let you know what I find in regards to this too. Realistically, the next post will be post-summer school (last day Friday July 27).


Email: planetnicecrafts@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Project Reveal...

A Little on Quilt History

Presenting Planet Nice Odyssey