Viva la World Cup!!!


Planet Nice really enjoys the month of World Cup as it provides the best background to the crafting activities. Duration is long so you have a full day, this year from 7 AM to about 3:30 pm, to give the environment a little extra energy. This post is a couple days later than I wanted; this semester, school is a full-time venture and I am attempting to keep disciplined, putting homework before Planet Nice.

As for project updates, a reverse in orbit has occurred since I last posted. Here is a picture of the headband:


No, you are not seeing things. It IS the yarn back in a ball. The previous headband was going very well and there was yarn left so it did grow to a cap. A problem arose when I washed the cap, it stretched and grew to a very large size! I was hoping for a bit of shrinkage but I received quite the opposite. After trying three attempts to shrink it, one even involving the use of a microwave and reading that this was not uncommon for superwash wool – I decided that my brain was not settled on this final product. So, I tore it out. The good thing is that I have a plan. I looked at the previous post, and this will be the 4th attempt but I think it is worth it. This is a relatively fast project (unlike the quilt, for instance) so time tinkering is not wasted and I learn something every time. This upcoming attempt 😊 and hopefully the last, I am confident that there is plenty of yarn for a cap. Knowing I will have enough yarn, I am also planning to follow the original pattern closely except for using a stitch count in the middle of previous attempts, a smaller needle for the ribbing at the beginning so it is tighter, and when decreasing stitches to end, I want to use a finer method so it is not rough looking. I think with these modifications, this will be a hat worthy for display!

Because I thought I was finished, I started planning the next knitting project which is another hat but I will be returning to the 100% cashmere from Johnstons of Elgin, Scotland, UK. This is a 5-ply yarn which though it doesn’t look it, is much chunkier than the rainbow variegated. I was thinking of using the pattern from the Craftsy class I have been viewing (on the left):


But when I practiced, there was not a nice definition of the zigzag, which is created with the cable stitches, it literally appeared as a big knot. So, I decided to try a free pattern for a Milanese Lace Topper by Tante Ehm:


I like this pattern because I think it will look good with this solid color yarn which is as dull as the previous yarn is bright. I was good and did a gauge swatch (another adventure with gauge written about in the April 30 post here).


The result will be finer than in the photo with the finished pieces and to compensate I have to add some stitches to the pattern. I am reasonably confident there will be enough yarn - we shall see.

Other notes…

Civilizations returned to PBS on June 12 with an episode on landscape, it was enjoyable and I think it will be to those who have an interest in photography. I am really enjoying the show just based on the visuals. Planet Nice Crafts continues on Instagram with more photos of nature than crafts, but unlike this yarn trial and error – Instagram provides a lightning quick creative fix as you try to make the photos hold their own on that social media platform.
Until next time when hopefully one of these balls of yarn unravels permanently this time…


Email: planetnicecrafts@gmail.com







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Project Reveal...

A Little on Quilt History

Summer Smoke and Sizzle