Hello Earthlings!

Welcome to the Planet Nice Crafts blog. Since this is the first blog post, pardon any construction dust. Just like any other planet, its evolving.

I adore craft kits. A great photograph of the anticipated final product, all or nearly all supplies neatly packaged, and directions to inevitable success – what could be better. They could be simple or more advanced projects, the main objective is for the crafter to have enough fun so that they purchase more kits and spread the word to their friends. For this blog post, I did a quick search on the history of needlecraft kits, but was unable to find anything so I reached out to and received information from the kit brand Bucilla (owned by the Dyson-Kissner-Moran Corporation and directed by Plaid Enterprises). Bucilla made the transition from the once-popular instructional and pattern books to the kit format in the late 1960s to meet changing consumer demand. As a child of the 1980s, visiting Frank’s Nursery and Crafts was a highlight – I remember the craft aisle fondly and always enjoyed the variety of items one could make. And yes, I did cut my teeth on a few of those kits, mostly the Christmas ornament type, some purchased for me and some by me. These days, the selection available is astonishing – in store the variety has dwindled from what I remember but online is where it is at with vintage kits on ebay, amazon, and etsy, and the big brands such as Bucilla and Dimensions having their online stores.

With the holidays past and 2018 still relatively fresh, I have been thinking of initiating this blog as a record of my crafting adventures. Already being in possession of plenty of craft kits to choose from:

The top of the craft heap!
These kits are a result of presents from others and my own purchases from thrift stores, fabric store sales bins, and an international leader of needlework publications. Drum roll, please, I have made my choice. I chose the Table Runner kit utilizing quilt techniques. I think I chose it because it is a wintry scene and it is definitely winter here in Chicago.


Now, on to reading the directions, I first noticed that this is an Intermediate kit. 


Then, I noticed and liked the phrase “quick to make” – I am a very slow crafter so this I guess could just be relative. Now, on to the meat of the directions. I am not a very experienced quilter, I have made a wall hanging many years ago but that is about it. As written in the Introduction of The Ultimate Quilting and Patchwork Companion by Isabel Stanley and Jenny Watson, quilting is a very old craft; for centuries, the Chinese have used quilted cloth for their padded winter clothing and the Crusaders brought the idea back home to Europe as early as the 13th century where and when it was adapted into bedcovers. When the settlers came to America in the 16th century, the idea traveled again. At first quilting was out of necessity as resources were scarce and needed to be recycled; as the settlers prospered, quilts became more elaborate and colorful.

Looking at the directions, they appear to be able to be followed and the designer made effort to have them so. For any project, I like to pre-wash fabric if it is washable. Recommended for shrinkage but it also removes any residue from the manufacturing process or any soil from being stored. Before washing, I took a picture of the fabrics as they were labeled to denote which part of the design they were designated for.


Once washed and ironed, it was time to cut the fabric as the instructions specify. Yes, cutting is important in any sewing project but I think it is extra important in a quilting project as the patterns with all those pieces require precision. For accurate cutting in both quilting and garment making, it is recommended to use a rotary cutter and cutting mat along with a ruler (I like a ruler with a handle so you can place pressure easily).

The first cut!
I found out that the rotary blade was a little dull! I kept going but definitely needs to be replaced before the next project. The focal fabric with the scenes required a little special handling to prevent repetition.


The resulting 4 panels.
And finally, ALL the fabrics.

I hope you have enjoyed this first installation of Planet Nice Crafts. I will go ahead and work on the runner and enter again when I come to a milestone; weekly is the goal and the back-up is bimonthly. Until then!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Project Reveal...

Presenting Planet Nice Odyssey

A Little on Quilt History